Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trying not to be a great big girl

I stepped on a dead mouse at Austin's Cafe in Manhattan yesterday. I think I did a pretty good job of staying calm, at least on the outside. As I type this, I try not to think about how squishy its dead little body felt beneath my boot as I sat down for lunch with a friend. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Is that what I think it is?
Saul: No, it's just trash.
Me: I really don't think so.
(silence)
Saul: Yeah, that's what you think it is.

Then he loudly informed the cashier there was a dead mouse under the table, because if we have to be skeeved out, we're taking everyone down with us.

I still ate the $6 sandwich I'd just bought, though. Six bucks is six bucks.

2 comments:

  1. Shudder.

    I am totally skeeved out with you, and very proud of your bravery.

    I was eating a bagel with Monkey in Grand Central when a mouse darted in to share with us. We stayed calm, informed the manager that an unwanted third party had joined our table, and she flipped out.

    On the upside, she did comp our bagels.

    Which they totally should have done with your sandwhich, cause ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! They totally should have comped your food. Cause ewww.

    ReplyDelete